Saturday, February 7, 2009
10 TIPS TO WORKOUT THROUGH YOUR COLD
Its winter cold season and I often get asked if it is safe to workout while you have a cold. Study shows that moderate exercise boost the immune system, protects against ill health and alleviates cold symptoms.
You can work out while you feel under the weather as long as you do not over train. If you have a severe bout of the flu, you should stay away from exercise completely and rest your body.
Here are some general guidelines for those with mild cold symptoms
1. Reduce workout intensity by using lighter weights
2. Do not exercise to the point of exhaustion
3. Cut back on workout volume. Do fewer sets and exercises
4. Limit workout duration to about 30 minutes
5. Substitute a weight workout low intensity some cardio
6. Do not train more than three times per week
7. Drink plenty of water
8. Supplement your diet with vitamin C
9. Get adequate rest
10. Take a cold medication